cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 5ks EIGRP and Policy routing question.

marramix01
Level 1
Level 1

We just got installed a METRO LINK between our primary and secondary data center (Site-A <> Site-B) I would like to be able to route data replication between these two sites over that link, instead of going over MPLS.  We run EIGRP internally and BGP to the MPLS (typical scenario)

At first I thought about doing ‘Policy Based Routing’ with IP SLA to be able to track and route traffic coming from the 10.10.10.0/24 bound to 10.11.11.0/24 and track link state with IP SLA in case the metro link would go down;  data replication would continue to flow over MPLS.

In researching this, I found out that Cisco NX-5ks and 6Ks don’t support IP SLA and there is no telling if they will support it any time in future releases either.

I haven’t turned on routing (EIGRP)  between the two 5ks over the metro link yet. 

Also, I don’t want to statically route replication traffic over the link unless I have to. It would have to  be a manual change in case I need to re-route it over the MPLS.

See attached drawing

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Marramix01 

1 Reply 1

Chris Izatt
Level 1
Level 1

can you calculate the metrics of the two different links for EIGRP? 

Once you have that you would know which one EIGRP would say is the best path. Then if the MPLS link is not the primary path then you can use Offset-list to force the traffic to and from subnets and still have failover with EIGRP. 

I hope I understood your problem correctly. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card