cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco power off

surjinp07@
Level 1
Level 1

We have a power off activity on next week, so they are going to off the power completely 1day for some work.at the moment i have  these below listed devices , how to secure them please help.

if they off the power suddenly what will happen ? or before powering off do i need to manually power off one by one . do i need to take any back up running config ? do i need to follow any command line shutdown procedure

please help  

• Catalyst 3650 Router, which in turn has 5 x 9200 switches uplinked to it.

There is a dual fibre etherchannel connection to the 1st floor hub room:

• Catalyst 3850 Router, which has 4 x 9200 switches uplinked t it.
3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- In general make sure all (running)-configs are saved to startup-config. It is better to have a controlled power-off of the intended devices then you have control of what is happening and can observe the impact on network-services. Cisco devices can usually survive an uncontrolled power-off easily , but as stated the configuration must have been saved at all times. 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello

Best to take a good readout and backup of the rtr/switch with a timestamp before and after the power outage and check the differance between the two readouts just to cover yourself.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello surjinp07@ ,

in addittion to other suggestions : depending on the type of work they are going to do if they are going to do many "PoWER ON " " POWEF OFF" on the distribution lines it is wise to power off the switches and have their power cables disconnected.

At the end of the activity you can plug again the power cables on your switches.

This is to avoid that a spike on a power line can make damage to the power supplies.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card