Views
Helpful
Replies

cisco sg200-26p

safamovassaghi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I have a bunch of cisco sg200 switches and would like to run fiber between those switches. Do i need a multimode fiber or a single mode. 

thank you 

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

if they are less than a few meters, Multi-Mode good to go.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I would think this would depend on the SFP module you purchase. Buy the SFP to match the fiber you want to use. Cisco compatible SFPs can be found for under $15 at many online resellers.

safamovassaghi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, the answer depends on the distance and function you want to achieve. 

SROD
Level 1
Level 1

Anytime you have fiber between devices the following items come to mind: 

Connectors- the fiber connector can be a multitude of shapes and sizes with LC being a commonly used type.  

SM vs MM:  Single mode (OS2) fiber is generally used for long distances over 2 kilometers.  Multi-mode (MMF) fiber is used for runs up to 150M depending on the type of cabling:  OM3, and OM4 have different limitations, so take a look at the existing fiber.  Most cabling is labeled every 2ft with the details of types and length of the cable.  Cabling can also include SFPs (i.e., OEM Direct Attach Cables like the SFP-10G-AOC1M) which by far are much cheaper than OEM branded SFPS.  They come in various lengths up to 15-20M long.   The copper equivalent (meaning a direct attach cable with SFPs on both ends and copper cabling) is also available such as the SFP-H10GB-CU1M. However, they must be compatible.  Cisco usually lists all compatible SFPs for their devices.  For the sg200E, the AOC/Copper equivalent are not an option.  

SG200-E Compatible SFPs

MFEFX1

Multimode fiber

100 Mbps

2 km

MFELX1

Single-mode fiber

100 Mbps

10 km

MFEBX1

Single-mode fiber

100 Mbps

20 km

MGBBX1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

40 km

MGBSX1

Multimode fiber

1000 Mbps

300 m

MGBLH1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

40 km

MGBLX1

Single-mode fiber

1000 Mbps

10 km

The SFP on both ends must match the cabling (i.e., MM SFP--MM fiber--MM SFP) and like Crystal Computer mentioned, the SFPs on both ends should be the same if possible, otherwise they need to be compatible.  Understand other vendors make "compatible" SFPs for devices, but I try to use SFPs from the same vendor if possible.  If using a Cisco switch, use a cisco SFP.  Other people may argue that the cost is too high for an OEM SFP, but sometimes when you need OEM troubleshooting support, the vendor will pause assisting until you utilize an OEM SFP, then they can support you.  Otherwise, they cannot be sure the SFP is not the problem.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card