cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco slm248G with flashing system led

fixitdaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have cisco slm248G with flashing system led, I have I serial cable arriving tomorrow  so I can attempt to re install the ios. My question is, is ther a persific port I should connect to on the switch with the consol cable or any port from 1 to 48 will work.
Thanks in advance for any help.

12 Replies 12

liviu.gheorghe
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hello @fixitdaz ,

the SLM248 doesn't have a console port like other Cisco equipment. Configuration and monitoring is done from a standard web browser. Connect your PC to any port using a UTP patch cord, set the IP address of the PC to 192.168.1.10 for example and point your browser to IP 192.168.1.254. The default username and password are:

Username: admin

Password: admin

You should be able to configure your switch now.

Edit: the serial console cable is not usable with this switch but it could come in handy with other Cisco equipment which have a dedicated console port which is usually marked with a light blue color.

Regards, LG
*** Please Rate All Helpful Responses ***

OK no worries thanks for the information I will give that a go,thanks again.

OK I tryed setting a static ip to laptop.

ip address 192.168.1.10

subnet mask 255.255.255.0

default gateway 192.168.1.254

dns 192.168.1.254 but still cannot connect to the switch using Web browser and address 192.168.1.254 any help  would be welcome 

Can you ping the switch IP address from your PC?

Regards, LG

i have tried to ping ip  no response. network_stat.PNGping_switch.PNG

Is the switch new? If it's not, I would perform a reset to factory and try accessing it again on 192.168.1.254.

Regards, LG

it's not new I have tried resetting it. if I press and hold for 10 seconds or longer there is no indication that it has reset but if I press and release all the lights, light then goes off I would think there should be some indication that factory reset has activated i am thinking its not factory resetting

You should hold the reset button for more than 10 seconds in order to perform a reset to factory defaults.

Pressing and holding the reset button for less than 10 seconds only reboots the switch. 

Regards, LG

I have tried to rest to factory by holding the reset for more than 10 seconds but ther is no indication that it has done anything should lights go off or something to indicate that the factory reset has happened I suspect it is not reseting to factory. thanks for you help I think I will have to scrap the switch and replace it.Thanks again.

I would try one more thing - have a continuous ping started on the PC - ping -t 192.168.1.254 and hold the reset button for 15-20 seconds and see if it starts answering to pings.

If not, with the ping running, I would power off and then on the switch.

Regards, LG

Hi thanks for that suggestion unfortunately no look it juts will not factory reset thanks again for all your suggestions.

You are welcome. I’m sorry it didn’t work out.
Regards, LG
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card