cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Stackwise Virtual

Louis Adams
Level 1
Level 1

I have (2) cisco 9500-24Y4C switches and I am looking to get advise on which ports I should use.  I want to create a virtual stack.  From what I have read so far, it seems best practice would be to use 3 ports per switch.  (2) ports for the SVL link and (1) port for the Dual Activation Detection Link.  This switch has 4 fixed 40gig/100gig ports.  My question is should I use those ports?  I read that the SVL ports do not use much traffic if both switches are connected to the core switches.  So basically would like to get feed back on how or what ports to use?

Thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I prefer using 2x40' using port channel in case one link down.

And for DAD use one 40 link ( DAD not support PO)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

this lab help you 
https://www.ciscolive.com/c/dam/r/ciscolive/us/docs/2019/pdf/5eU6DfQV/LTRCRS-2090-LG.pdf

Restrictions for Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series High Performance Switches

• 4x25G and 4x10G breakout cables are not supported with SVL mode.

• On C9500-32C switches, you can configure SVL and DAD only on interfaces numbered 1-16 on the front panel of the switch.

• On C9500-32QC, you can configure SVL and DAD only on native 100G and 40G interfaces (default configuration ports). You cannot configure SVL and DAD on converted 100G and 40G interfaces.

• On Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series High Performance Switches, configuring SVL using 1G interfaces is not supported.

From what I have read all my ports can be used on these switches.

You can establish SVLs using 40G or 10G Ethernet connections (downlink connections) on Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series Switches and 100G, 40G, 25G and 10G Ethernet connections on Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series High Performance Switches.

Share this doc. Let me take look 

Louis Adams
Level 1
Level 1

I guess what I am asking is using 100Gig overkill for an SVL or is it Ideal?

I prefer using 2x40' using port channel in case one link down.

And for DAD use one 40 link ( DAD not support PO)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card