Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Storm Control on Catalyst 6500

zafar.khan001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Just noticed a weird behavior while making a change to the storm control values on a Catalyst 6500 switch. I have two Fiber interfaces that are bonded as a ether-channel. Cisco documentation states that you can only change the storm control values on the Port-channel, not on the physical interfaces. 

I just want to increase the unicast storm control from 50% to 60%, however when I issue the command to increase specifically for unicast, it applies the increase to broadcast and multicast as well. Am i missing something? Would appreciate your guys assistance.

2 Replies 2

InayathUlla Sharieff
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

tep 1 

Router(config)# interface {{type1  slot/port} | {port-channel number}}

Selects an interface to configure.

Step 2 

Router(config-if)# storm-control broadcast level level[.level]

Enables broadcast traffic storm control on the interface, configures the traffic storm control level, and applies the traffic storm control level to all traffic storm control modes enabled on the interface.

Step 3 

Router(config-if)# storm-control multicast level level[.level]

Note The storm-control multicast command is supported only on Gigabit and 10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

Enables multicast traffic storm control on the interface, configures the traffic storm control level, and applies the traffic storm control level to all traffic storm control modes enabled on the interface.

Step 4 

Router(config-if)# storm-control unicast level level[.level]

Note The storm-control unicast command is supported only on Gigabit and 10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces.

Enables unicast traffic storm control on the interface, configures the traffic storm control level, and applies the traffic storm control level to all traffic storm control modes enabled on the interface.

Step 5 

Router(config-if)# end

Exits configuration mode.

Step 6 

Router# show running-config interface

Verifies the configuration.

Hi. So there's no way to specify different levels for unicast, broadcast and multicast?!? There's no way to specify pps instead of percentage?!? Is anything different in newer IOS versions? Thanks and best regards.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card