Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch 2960 stacking

gabelz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i need to put again in production 4x 2960 swithes,which were disconnected by error.

The switches were stacked in 2x 2960 stack.The problem is that now i have only 1 switch available per stack,because the two slaves were sent to another company branch.

My question is,if i stack two different switches to the two different stack,do i need to do something on new switches configuration?Do i need to restore factory default on both or when i connect to stack,switch automatically take the master configuration?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,

M.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello
1) power up both switch's separately ( not connected) and delete the following.

delete flash:vlan.dat

delete flash:config.txt
reload

2) Power up first switch
conf t
switch 1 priority 15
end
wr mem
reload

3) Once first switch has reloaded attach second switch via the stacking cables and power up that up also

You should now have a stack of two switches.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

It is a good idea to factory reset them. Also, make sure all of them are in the exactly same software version and make sure those new switches has not higher priority so that then can become the master of the stack.

switch stack-member-number priority "new-priority-value"

Make sure the sequency is OK so that your inteface slot will be right.

HI Flavio,

thanks for your reply.

So,if i understood correctly the flow,first of all factory reset new switches,then stack them with the masters and at the end of this process,put 2x2 cisco 2960 stack in production?

Thanks in advance!

Factory reset them.   Before connect them to the stack, check the priority value. Connect them in the power, use a console cable and them check the priority. Of couse, you need to know which priority the master is using so that you can ajust the slave.

After that, check the version.  Put them on the same version, exactly.

Then, join them to the stack. 

Hi,

thanks for reply.

But is it possible to modify the priority before joining the stack?

Because i'm trying to perform #show switch on a single switch and no output.

Thanks in advance!

Hello
1) power up both switch's separately ( not connected) and delete the following.

delete flash:vlan.dat

delete flash:config.txt
reload

2) Power up first switch
conf t
switch 1 priority 15
end
wr mem
reload

3) Once first switch has reloaded attach second switch via the stacking cables and power up that up also

You should now have a stack of two switches.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card