Views
Helpful
Replies

CISCO switch 300 series + Allied Telesis FS/750/24

Oliver_V1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I would like to someone to help me about these 2 switches.

Is there any chance to configure cisco switch and telesis switch in vlan mode, working together?

I would like to set 2 vlan on cisco switch, a 2 on the telesis switch so I can manage traffic beteen them. I looked at manual for telesis switch, and there isn't any configuration for vtp mode? Is there any other chance to make theese 2 swiches work together?

Thx,

Oliver

3 Replies 3

glenn.newman
Level 1
Level 1

The Telesis doesn't need VTP to have 2 VLANs working over one link, but it needs to support creating multiple VLANs and 802.1Q VLAN tagging on the uplink ports. 

You can use "switchport mode trunk" to force the Cisco port into trunking mode.  A "show interface trunk" will show the VLANs on a trunk.

Otherwise you can do it with 2 physical links for the two VLANs with the ports on each side in access mode.

ati_support
Level 1
Level 1

As a vendor, Allied Telesis places a strong emphasis on open standars based technology. Using 802.1q VLAN tagged frames you on both the Cisco and Allied Telesis switches you will be able to achieve the desired outcome. Should you require further assistance, please feel free to send email to support at allied telesis dot com dot au.

Regards,

Scott.

Hi, the Cisco 300 series switches are a small business product. They do not support VTP. They do not have any Cisco proprietary standards with the exception of CDP.

You cannot use 2 physical link between the switches because it does not support PVST. Spanning tree will block 1 port. If the Telesis supports MSTP you may go that avenue.

802.1q is the correct answer setting up the native vlan and adding all additional vlans as tag members to the trunk link and matching it on the Telesis side to be exactly the same.

-Tom
Please mark answered for helpful posts

-Tom Please mark answered for helpful posts http://blogs.cisco.com/smallbusiness/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card