Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Switch Heat Loss or Efficiency Value

Frankwu826
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 

I would like to use an IE-5000-12S12P-10G switch, the datasheet shows that it has a power consumption of 90W when there is no POE requirement, the POE power needed from this switch is 142.6W (to power the field POE devices), the switch has two integrated power modules PWR-RGD-AC-DC-H with 150W and PWR-RGD-AC-DC-250 with 250W. I would assume the switch base unit and 2 power supplies will all generate heat. Would any expert here advise how much heat loss (watts) this switch generates in total? 
I was thinking of only using the efficiency values of the power supplies (Cisco does not give this, I assume 88% for both of them for conservative), then heat loss is: = (90+142.6)/88%=31.7W. Would anyone advise if this is fine?
I have read many related posts here. I do not think the installation guide can give any help on this. The BTU values on the installation guide are just another form of watts or power consumption rather than heat loss or power dissipation.
Also we should not use the rated capacity of the power supplies modules as the actual power draw is much smaller than that, hence the same as the heat loss.
I would very much appreciate it if anyone can give me some instruction.
Thank you!

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In the next few months, Cisco will be announcing the IE 9300. 

I would recommend you contact your Cisco AM/SE for more information.

Thanks Leo!

The whole day today, I tried different ways to access a Cisco pre-sale technical support, including phone, email, online chat, only kept me back and forward to different teams and provided no useful information. 

@Frankwu826 wrote:

The whole day today, I tried different ways to access a Cisco pre-sale technical support, including phone, email, online chat, only kept me back and forward to different teams and provided no useful information. 

It is like those "scam callers":  They follow "scripts" and if you say, ask or do something outside of this "script" they get "lost".  

When we started asking about this IE9300, we had a WebEx with a "sales team".  Y'know what they said?  Their answer to all our questions was the Data Sheet for the IE3300.  

In the end, we persisted and kept asking other people until we found "another" team who gave us some info about the new IE9300.  

You are absolutely correct Leo. They did exactly the same thing as you said. I have no words to comment on Cisco's technical support. If possible, I will never recommend it to my clients.

The IE3x00 is based entirely around the 3650/3850.  

The IE9300 is "based" around the 9300, however, during our send WebEx session with a second "marketing" team I got the impression that the IE9300 has the capabilities of a 9200 with limited features/functions.

Currently, the IE9300 comes in two sub-models:  IE9310 is a non-stackable and IE9320. 

I am going to presume more models will be introduced and those ones will be copper.  

But do not get excited about these because, with the current "chip shortage", there is no "timeline", should an order be placed now, when the order will arrive.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card