cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

classful and classless addressing

vrsf555
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I've been studying CCENT/CCNA ICND1 100-105 Official Cert Guide, Wendell Odom

We can find on page 350 the following statements:

Classless&classfull_addressing.JPG

In this book, there are several references in the same way. Is there an error?.

Please, help.

Regards,

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Almost true. In classful mode the explicit mas may not be used. There are only two parts (network and host) in such case.

May be this page will help you.

Note the classful addressing scheme is rather historic. I bet you will never see network with classful addressing scheme used. It's about fifteen years since I've seen this kind of thing for the last time

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dan Lukes
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I see no error. IP and explicit mask is common to both method. Classfull have class (implicit mask) in advance, while classless have no class (implicit mask).

vrsf555
Level 1
Level 1
So, in Classful addressing, the address has 3 parts, network, subnet, and host? or should be said: In classful addressing, IP address is divided into two parts: host id and network

Almost true. In classful mode the explicit mas may not be used. There are only two parts (network and host) in such case.

May be this page will help you.

Note the classful addressing scheme is rather historic. I bet you will never see network with classful addressing scheme used. It's about fifteen years since I've seen this kind of thing for the last time

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card