Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients not connecting to data vlan

I'm on location where we had two Cisco Catalyst switches -- a 24-port 3650 and a 48 port 3650. The 24--port was installed months ago, then we quickly outgrew it and added the 48-port with the understanding we'd remove teh 24-port at some point. Tonight is that night. The 24 port was configured as the VTP server and had the default vlan plus two other vlans, one for data, one for voice. Easy enough. I migrated the cables, changed configuration for the ports as appropriate and everything seemed to be fine. I removed the original switch was able to test connectivity with no errors. Then I powered the device off, so I could remove the original switch, move this switch up closeer to the patch panel, etc. Powered it on and no clients can get out. IPCONFIG on a windows 7 machine and it shows that the cable is disconnected. I had changed the VTP info on the 48 port switch (in case that made a difference), I've gone through the switch configuration until I'm blind. It's like the clients can't connect to the network, or can't see the data vlan. 

I've attached the switch configuration.

2 Replies 2

pwwiddicombe
Level 4
Level 4

Verify the vlans actually exist.  VTP is an interesting beast and has its quirks. 

sh vlan     - to see if they really exist

sh vtp status   - to see what status the switch is actually in.

Different versions act differently; but if your port is a member of a vlan that doesn't exist, the port doesn't behave very well  B-(.   Recreating the vlans alone may be enough; or possibly a restart of the switch (good for your own sanity anyway ! ).

PS - the vlan config often doesn't show up in the config file; it's stored in vlan.dat.  The commands above let you see; and there are corresponding commands to create and modify vlan information.

On a small network it's often easier to use vtp mode transparent; just means you have to config every switch.  On a larger network, you weigh the convenience over the possibility that you CAN get burned if you aren't careful.

As it turns out, we're going to replace switch with another device. Since this switch was already in the network, we feel it was probably holding onto the client role (vlan.dat). I've seen this before, but can't recall how we resolved it. 

Thanks for taking the time to review my issue and respond.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card