cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Collision in Wirelsss

umesh.harade
Level 1
Level 1

can anybody explain me collision in Wireless network how its happen ?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Wireless is like a hub.  If one talks, everyone else stops to listen for their turn.

Andras Dosztal
Level 3
Level 3

If you have 1 access point, there will be no collisions. WLANs use CSMA/CA, not CD.

If you have more APs on the same channel there will be interference, which distorts the signal ("works" like a collision).

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

hi umesh,

further adding to other posts, i would like to share a good read from my CCNA notes (exploration):

- Imagine two client stations that both connect to the access point, but are at opposite sides of its reach. If they are at the maximum range to reach the access point, they will not be able to reach each other. So neither of those stations sense the other on the medium, and they may end up transmitting simultaneously. This is known as the hidden node (or station) problem.

- One means of resolving the hidden node problem is a CSMA/CA feature called request to send/clear to send (RTS/CTS). RTS/CTS was developed to allow a negotiation between a client and an access point. When RTS/CTS is enabled in a network, access points allocate the medium to the requesting station for as long as is required to complete the transmission. When the transmission is complete, other stations can request the channel in a similar fashion. Otherwise, normal collision avoidance function is resumed.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card