Views
Helpful
Replies

Combining two cable lines with one layer 3 switch

mirsalaradili
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope someone can help me since it is not a big problem.

I have two internet lines in my office. Since there is too much traffic on one of them and sometimes drop wireless clients, I need to add the other cable line to the first one with a layer 3 switch and use them as one wireless connection. How can I do it?

10 Replies 10

mirsalaradili
Level 1
Level 1

Also I need redundancy and load balancing on it... I appreciate it if someone could give an answer.

Anyone? Please, I have to have an answer today...!!

Alvaro Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm afraid I dont fully understand what you are trying to do... I undertand you have two internet connections and one of them is oversubscribed...what do you mean with "add a second cable line"?

Please elaborate more and provide topology if possible...

Well there is a wireless router which provides the internet here. The traffic on it made us to buy a new internet line. Both of them are DSL. We have another wireless router for the new internet line. The question is how can I combine these two internet lines with a layer three switch, so i can have load balancing, redundancy and bandwidth sharing at the same time?

Alvaro Garcia
Level 1
Level 1

That's quite task you are trying to accomplish... I would suggest you to check the following post:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14086

Thanks for your help. I read the article. Although I need more details and your opinion about which way do you think is the best. What equipment do I need and what is the best way to do such thing? Also I would appreciate a detailed process description.

Thanks again in advance

What if I just wanted to set a load balancing for my two cable internet lines which by the way are from the same ISP?

Please instruct me what to do...

What model of a router or switch do you have?

If you say you have a switch what IOS and feature set do you have on?

I have a Cisco layer three switch which i dont know the model now, but any device required will be provided. Although we rather to spend least amount of cost. The routers are comcast.

I have a Cisco layer three switch which i dont know the model now, but any device required will be provided. Although we rather to spend least amount of cost.

That sure is a very vague "description".

Load Sharing with BGP in Single and Multihomed Environments

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card