cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Command to determine up-link on 6509 switch

Sumit Sharma
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All, request your help. I was wondering is there a command to determine uplink ports in enterprise network. If i  know the IP we can trace the uplink port however what if no IP address is available or if the uplink is down, incomplete network diagram and have got more than 2 tengig ports.

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi All, request your help. I was wondering is there a command to determine uplink ports in enterprise network. If i  know the IP we can trace the uplink port however what if no IP address is available or if the uplink is down, incomplete network diagram and have got more than 2 tengig ports.

Errrr ... "sh cdp neighbor"?

Hi Leo, thanks for your response. unfortunately CDP has not been enabled. Also, I believe if the uplink is down, sh cdp neighbor wont work.

Hi!

You can look for Etherchannels, descriptions in show interface description. Uplinks have more baandwidth than downlonk ports so I would look for certain characteristics such as trunk ports, Tengigabit ports and in general the port which is forwarding/receiving lots of traffic compared with other ports.

I know this is not a command itself but I hope it helps you to find the uplinks ports.

Best regards!

JC

If the uplink is down then unless someone has kept meticulous documentation (including interface description) there is nothing to be done and nothing can be achieved. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card