cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatibility question

Virtual_RV
Level 1
Level 1

Hello - My current network is running numerous WS-C2960G-24/48TC-L switches trunked to a WS-C3560G-24TS-S managing VLAN's, default gateway ect...

I am looking to purchase more of the 2960 series switches due to recent additions, the 2960G series was depreciated a while ago. 

I was looking at the WS-C2960X-24/48TD-L models, or getting refurb 2960G-24/48TC-L's. 

My question is, do the WS-C2960X series switches play well with the WS-C2960G series?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated while trying to research more about it.  Thanks!

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I don't have direct experience mixing the two 2960 series, but they should play nice together.  The common stuff that might need to interoperate should be a STP, VTP and/or port channeling.  I would expect the 2960X support anything the older 2960 supports.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
My question is, do the WS-C2960X series switches play well with the WS-C2960G series?  Any insight would be greatly appreciated while trying to research more about it.  Thanks!

My opinion (and this is just MY OPINION) is this:  DON'T and WAIT.

DON'T be in a hurry to purchase the 2960X.  

WAIT for Cisco to release the standard IOS for this appliance.

Why?  Some of the 2960X come with EX3 shipped.  There have been some reported bugs with this IOS and Cisco has recently released a quickly-bashed-up update, EX4.  Guess what, some people have started reporting more problems with EX4.  Guess what Cisco now recommends?  Downgrade to EX3.

I'd wait until Cisco publishes a General Release IOS of the 12.2 or the 15.0 before buying the 2960X. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card