Views
Helpful
Replies

Compatible SFPs

spj2019
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, 
we've got a Cisco 3650 and 2960 (both with 24 ports + 4 sfp) interconnected via an ethernet cable (all ports are 1Gb) because no one had purchased the required Gbic modules. Now I've been given a Startech SFP+ 10 Gb Twinax Cable which does not seem compatible with my Cisco equipment. Both appliances are running IOS 15.2. I tried conecting the two over the SFP link but I get the dreaded err-disabled message which says 'gbic-invalid'..... 
I tried the maneuver whereby you disable the error detection :

no errdisable detect cause gbic-invalid

service unsupported-transceiver

removed the SFP module, shut/no shut, and reinserted the module

I don't get the error anymore, but the port remains down and the configuration does not get applied - it should be in a specific VLAN but the relative show command only displays VLAN 1 for that port.  The exact same messages appear on both appliances. 
Has anyone ever successfully used this SFP on Cisco HW? I've seen the name in various posts but I haven't found anyone who says they resolved the issue. Could the 10Gb technology be the issue ? 
Thanks for your help, Spj 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Can you give me the exact switch model ?

Not every 3650 supports 10G SFP.
And, of course, no..... 10GB SFP cannot be used on a 1GB port.

Regards

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

In below matrix, I don't see the 3560 24 port supporting Twinax cables. You may have to use a regular fiber cable with standard SFP to make these connections (GLC-SX-MMD). 

search for 3560

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com

https://tmgmatrix.cisco.com/?npf=116

HTH

Hi, thanks for your reply. Although I've got a Cisco 3650 (and not a 3560) the matrix doesn't include third-party products like this cable I've been provided with. I'd like to understand whether a 10 Gb SFP can be used in a 1Gb port; I think there may be issues. Of course I wouldn't expect any throughput greater than 1Gb... :) 

Hi,

Can you give me the exact switch model ?

Not every 3650 supports 10G SFP.
And, of course, no..... 10GB SFP cannot be used on a 1GB port.

Regards

Hi, that's what I suspected : we ordered the wrong cable. The switch model is WS-C3650-24TS.  
Thanks, Spj

hello,

WS-C3650-24TS support only 4x1G SFP modules.

Below i append the link where you can compare the models and maybe choose a 10Gbps capable switch.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/catalyst-3650-series-switches/models-comparison.html

Kind regards

Hi, 
I got an official reply from StarTech (I wrote to their support) telling me the SFP is not compatible (as indicated by more than one person) with my devices. Will have to purchase something else.... Thanks to all, SPJ 

Hi, I flagged your reply as the solution, but after providing the model info please advise me if the device can somehow support the SFP...
Thanks, Spj

I'd like to understand whether a 10 Gb SFP can be used in a 1Gb port;

No, you cannot  use a 10Gig SFP+ in a 1Gig port.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco