Views
Helpful
Replies

config.text

Abdel siddig
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I'm facing an issue that, I'm unable to find config.text file to rename it.
Issue: I lose the credentials of the switch and I'm unable to login anymore. 
below is dir flash result, can you help here please?

Thanks in advance 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello @Abdel siddig ,

the configuration file is not saved in the flash but it is saved in nvram, this is why you cannot find it in flash.

You need to use a password recover procedure that is appropriate for your switch in order to change the config register so that it will ignore the configure file , reboot the switch make it to boot and then using the default credentials you will be able to get control of the switch configure a new enable secret.

The config register has to be set again to normal value at the end of the process

You can see the current value of the config register in the output of show version

Most of the times you need to keep pressed the more button at power on to make the switch to stop in rom monitor then you change the config register and you make it to boot the IOS / IOS XE image.

Read the following document from config guide for cat 3850

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-2/configuration_guide/b_162_consolidated_3850_cg/b_162_consolidated_3850_cg_chapter_010000000.html#task_1021182

If you are not sure about your model feel free to post a show version in the thread

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Abdel siddig
Level 1
Level 1

Here in this attachment is the dir flash result which config.text is not in the list

Abdel siddig
Level 1
Level 1

can anyone advise here is the config.text file to rename it?
Abdelsiddig_0-1669356922052.png

Hello @Abdel siddig ,

the configuration file is not saved in the flash but it is saved in nvram, this is why you cannot find it in flash.

You need to use a password recover procedure that is appropriate for your switch in order to change the config register so that it will ignore the configure file , reboot the switch make it to boot and then using the default credentials you will be able to get control of the switch configure a new enable secret.

The config register has to be set again to normal value at the end of the process

You can see the current value of the config register in the output of show version

Most of the times you need to keep pressed the more button at power on to make the switch to stop in rom monitor then you change the config register and you make it to boot the IOS / IOS XE image.

Read the following document from config guide for cat 3850

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/16-2/configuration_guide/b_162_consolidated_3850_cg/b_162_consolidated_3850_cg_chapter_010000000.html#task_1021182

If you are not sure about your model feel free to post a show version in the thread

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Abdel siddig
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Dear @Giuseppe Larosa 
Thank you so much for the useful information. it's really helped me to address the issue I'm facing. 
appreciated  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card