Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure DHCP Server on Layer 2 Switch

I am working with a network with a topology shown as below.

I break the whole network into 3 VLAN, 10 for MANAGER, 20 for DBA and 30 for EMPLOYEE

I have checked the connection between the DHCP server to the router and the computers in the same vlan. Everything operates well but fail to retrieve IP address though DHCP protocol.

Anyone help me to fix the problem.

Screenshot 2021-11-27 171958.png

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I've got the problem. It derives from the layer 3 switch. I've not heard about layer 3 switch before.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If you return to the real world in the end , I advise against using dhcp services on routers and switches, because they can lead to a race condition when offering network services , better is to have separate dhcp server/service. Also sometimes they don't implement advanced dhcp-options which can sometimes be need. Further more they offer stronger as for instance database-like solutions for storing mac addresses when no pool is used for a particular subnet with quasi-strong authentication.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Thank you for your helpful information. By the way, my main goal is to fix the problem of that DHCP protocol do not work properly. To be more specific, the PCs can not you fetch the IP with the DHCP option. 

I've got the problem. It derives from the layer 3 switch. I've not heard about layer 3 switch before.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card