Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure internet access on VLAN

GoldHead
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 

I'm new Cisco user. I have on Cisco 350 Switch. 

I created three VLAN (10, 20, 30). On VLAN 10 I entered IP from subnet of my Internet Router (non CISCO device). If I connect client to this VLAN via CISCO Router, it connects to the Internet (DHCP is running on my Internet router) 

And now, I want also configure the VLAN 20 and VLAN 30 to access internet via same Internet router. On those VLANs DHCP is active. 

How can I do this? How can I "pass the traffic" from VLAN 20 -> 10?? 

Additionally, VLAN 20 should not communicate with VLAN 30

I'm using WEB interface and not "CLI". 

Thank you!

17 Replies 17

That is an interesting possibility. I do not know enough detail about that device to offer anything authoritative. My opinion is that it might be possible that it is your solution but I think it is not likely. Here is what I think, based on the link you provided:

- the device is primarily for providing connectivity for wireless users. There is an assumption that support would include doing NAT - at least for the subnet it provides for wireless users.

- the device does provide 4 connections for wired Ethernet. So possibly you could connect your switch to one of the ports.

- if you do connect your switch to one of those ports, then the question becomes whether the port acts as an access port (most likely the case) or acts as a trunk. From your perspective you would like it to be a trunk (one connection for all vlans) but I suspect this is not the case. The alternative might be to connect an access port in vlan 10 to one port, an access port in vlan 20 to another port, and an access port in vlan 30 to another port. If you try this we do not know if the device would keep the vlans separated or would just treat tham as all in a single vlan.

You can give it a try. But my guess is that this is not the solution that you need.

HTH

Rick

GoldHead_0-1724910376168.png

I borrowed this piece. This Device should be capable of handling VLANs

I am not familiar with that device but it looks like an interesting possibility. Please let us know how it works out.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card