cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure password policy and secret type 9

Sudqi
Level 1
Level 1

we configure a password policy, but we can't link it to the local user with a secret, if we need to link it with a local user, we should use password instead of a secret, 

any help here

Thanks

7 Replies 7

Richard Pidcock
Level 1
Level 1

Not sure I understand what you are trying to accomplish, can you elaborate?

Richard W. Pidcock

Hi Richard,

I configure the password policy as below:

aaa common-criteria policy policy1
min-length 8
numeric-count 1
upper-case 1
lower-case 1
special-case 1

when I tried to link it to a local user, just I allowed to use password not a secret as below

#username admin privilege 15 common-criteria-policy policy1 ?
password Specify the password for the user
<cr>

when I use a secret as below, it is allowed but without the password policy

username admin privilege 15 secret 9 <the secret>

What version of code is running on the switch you are configuring.  I checked a 2960L in my environment that is running 15.2.7(E4) and it appears that secret is an available option.  What are the details of the switch you are working on?

Richard W. Pidcock

Hi Richard

WS-C2960+48PST-S

15.2(7)E

I just tested this on a WS-C2960X-48LPS-L running 15.2(7)E6.  I was able to do this.

!
aaa common-criteria policy Test1
min-length 8
max-length 10
numeric-count 1
special-case 1
char-changes 4
!

username test1 common-criteria-policy Test1 secret 9 $9$L2AJ.x/8PNN5gt$.aAJmUYGIVHbG5J7Lb.jxKolAX6i1lt37Xjp2FISnw6

Richard W. Pidcock

Let me check my notes

MHM

Check this 

From cisco doc.

• For local users, password common criteria full evaluation is applicable only to the username username common-criteria-policy policy-name password cleartext-password command.

• For local users that have been defined using the username username common-criteria-policy policy-name secret 5|8|9 <HASH> commands, they are not evaluated against the password common criteria. Only the common criteria lifetime is applied to the username.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card