cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure Process Switching

holeman4110
Level 1
Level 1

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-120-mainline/47205-cef-whichpath.html

I found how to set Switching Method for CEF, Fast only on above doc.

For configure process Switching, should I set process switching for both inbound and outbound?

36 Replies 36

I finally found I need to set 'Fast Switching' on inbound interface, 'Process Switching' on outbound interface for configuring Process Switching on router (Routing TCPIP, Volume 1, Jeff Doyle)

what command you use for process switching ?

'no ip cef ' for turnning off CEF on global config

then

'no ip route-cache' for turning off Fast Switching

So as I mention above' there os no command for process switching'

It defualt can not disable it ( reconfigurable).

What you do you only disable cef and fast that make router use only process switching.

Un-huh, and what's the copyright date of that book?  ; )

First printing 2005, copyright 2006, and it's now 2023.

Maybe, just maybe, some of the information in Doyle's (excellent) book is just a tad out-of-date?  (Although the information about switching path, I believe, is still accurate.)

Again, though, why do you think you want to use process switching?

I've attached an old (2009) Cisco performance datasheet.  Notice the performance difference between the Process Switching and Fast/CEF Switching columns!

Thanks for sharing

It's because I've just started to study network, and wanna see how all kinds of switching types works.

I know nobody use this type casue of speed, but just for studying.

". . . but just for studying"

Ah, that's fine, and now your question makes sense.

Again, in "real" networking, we often really, really don't want to have a Cisco router, or L3 switch, doing "process switching" and we also just try to insure we're using the best/fastest "switching" technology that device supports.

Further, we often don't worry too much about how they work (except when they don't work correctly), but do more often worry if any of our traffic is, for some reason, not obtaining the best/fastest switching.  In fact, going back to your Doyle reference, the table helps insure you've met a particular switching technology's requirements for being applied to your traffic.

That's really valuable information

Actually I've been taking a kind of networking class, and I learned 3 kinds of switching types.

We tried to figure out how all kinds of switching works by debugging ip packets, but 'process switching' was not working as what I expected.

Anyway all of your replies was really helpful, I really appreciate it.

for anyone else see this post 
there is NO command for process switching, when you need to run process switching disable fast/cef 
to check if fast/cef is enbale or disable do 
show IP interface x/x
Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

For configure process Switching, should I set process switching for both inbound and outbound?

Above is my original question.

I knew how to make process switching with 'no ip cef' , 'no ip route-cache'

So I did it on my router's output interface and it wans't working as I expected.

So I raised this question to community, because I'm a newb to network and I thougt I just need to configure switching type just on output interface. But it was failed so I thought it's maybe cause of input/output interface, but I couldn't find info about that. 

Switching Method Based on Ingress and Egress Swtiching Config.png
the traffic is come from ingress interface and out through egress interface 
I think you understand  that there is two direction can config for same interface ? No friend we talking about ingress interface and what switching it use and egress interface and what switching it use. 
table above for some compatibility result.

I've started network one and half month ago, so I don't have much knowledge.

After I failed to figure out process switching, and then I saw that table you left on cisco doc.

But you know, that made me confused. Because Ingress Interface's switching type is different from Egress Interface's switching type for making specific switching method.

image.png

And then I found above table on Doyle's book what I left link below reply.

Anyway it was started from simple question, but your replies makes me more conception about switching.

Thanks for your help

You table is much much better from my 
thanks for sharing 
and you see in above small words that the config is inbound and outbound interface

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card