Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring an HSRP Group for IPv6

NexusHi guys,

I want to configure HSRP groups on IPv6 , I have read the documentation Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS Unicast Routing Configuration Guide but my question is related to autoconfiguration command .

How can two devices communicate if I use the autoconfiguration command ? It should not be more accurate to introduce manual the virtual IPv6 address on both devices in order to have the same  virtual address ?

Many thanks!

Marcela 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

There are lot of things we need consider and learning when when moving from IPv4 to IPv6 or using IPv6( sometime myself put my head around and learn how the things works and make the  differences - yes IPv6 works in different way some case) - i do not like to reinvent the wheel here.

Lab minute video explain clearly this :

http://www.labminutes.com/rs0038_ipv6_hsrp

Like to know more about IPv6 - how things works RFC 5798

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hi,

Many thanks! I have read this articles but is not answering to my question. I have an class of IPV6 and I don't know what type of virtual IP address I should use? You know on IPv4 you use the gateway but here is unclear . 

There are lot of things we need consider and learning when when moving from IPv4 to IPv6 or using IPv6( sometime myself put my head around and learn how the things works and make the  differences - yes IPv6 works in different way some case) - i do not like to reinvent the wheel here.

Lab minute video explain clearly this :

http://www.labminutes.com/rs0038_ipv6_hsrp

Like to know more about IPv6 - how things works RFC 5798

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/hot-standby-router-protocol-hsrp/113216-ipv6-hsrp-00.html

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

-->  It should not be more accurate to introduce manual the virtual IPv6 address on both devices in order to have the same virtual address ?

Not really sure I understand what you are asking. Do you want to know if it is better to use 'ip autoconfig' or manually enter the virtual IPv6 address ? Or, you question should read:

-->  Should it not be more accurate to manually enter the virtual IPv6 address on both devices in order to have the same virtual address, rather than using 'ip autoconfig' ?

Do you want to know if it is better to use 'IP autoconfig' or manually enter the virtual IPv6 address ? - YES , this is my question... 

The following example shows how to configure an HSRP group on Ethernet 1/2:

switch# configure terminal

switch(config)# interface ethernet 3/2

switch(config-if)# ipv6 address 2001:0DB8:0001:0001:/64

switch(config-if)# HSRP version 2 switch(config-if)# HSRP 2 ipv6

THIS CAN BE DONE WITH AUTOCONFIG ?switch(config)# IP 2001:DB8::1

switch(config-if-HSRP)# exit

switch(config-if-HSRP)# no shutdown

switch(config-if-HSRP)# copy running-config startup-config 

Hello,

it should not matter whether you use autoconfig for the virtual IPv6 address, or manually configure it. For autoconfig you obviously need an IPv6 DHCP server (either external or an a router/switch)...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card