Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring an LACP port-channel and adding live interface to it

gdg230001
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We have a customer who would like to dual link his switch (actually switches - it's a VSS setup at his end) to our PoP (3650g).

I have created the port-channel interface, but can I safely add the 'channel-group 1 mode active' to the existing single live interface (and the additional as yet unused interface) without causing an outage? Or will the switch immediately try to create the LACP pair and cause the live link to drop while forming the LAG? The second link is currently not connected.

My preferred plan would be to configure the commands on the PoP and leave him to attach the second link during a vulnerable period suitable for him, at which point I'm assuming the LACP pair will form and at this point there will be a brief outage, but I don't want to cause an outage when I add the 'channel-group...' config

Note we don't run STP from our PoP into the customer's network.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Ether channel is designed so you can add a port-channel to an existing member without interruption , once the first link is in place and part of the PO adding anymore should not be disruptive , adding the first link maybe as it needs to set the algorithm it will use , add the second link with full config but shut both sides down first until  your ready and then bring it up

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card