Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring Port-Channel along with Trunk

pr0t
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings community members,

We have two 10G ports in Cisco C9500-40X to configure for a particular server, which communicates with various devices connected to a few different VLANs. We don't want to allow all VLANs on those ports, and we want to create a port-channel to boost up the communication.

I've already configured each port separately - the configuration is exactly the same (1:1). Trunk allows particular VLANs only. Now, let's go to the port-channel configuration.

1. Do I have to configure trunk mode on port-channel even if it's been already been done for each port? If yes - I assume, I have to rewrite trunk allow list as well.

2. If I don't configure trunk mode on those 10G ports, and if I (first) configure my port-channel to be in trunk mode - will the trunk mode configuration go all the way down to each port after I've combined them into that port-channel? Will the trunk configuration be copied down to each physical port?

3. If the native VLAN is set to 1, do I have to specify native VLAN in the port-channel configuration?

4. Should I even include the native VLAN in the port-channel "trunk allow list" just in case?

Here's what I've got so far:

Port-Channel-Trunk.jpg

I think this configuration might work (I'm not able to test it at the moment), however, I think there might be a better approach.

Regards.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

High level it should work as expected - what is other side device ? is that support LACP ? if not make it mode on (instead of active)

new device should work as expected, incase if you come across any issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Hello,

1. Do I have to configure trunk mode on port-channel even if it's been already been done for each port? If yes - I assume, I have to rewrite trunk allow list as well.

--> whatever you configure on the port channel is imherited by the member interfaces, so you don't need to configure each member interface individually

2. If I don't configure trunk mode on those 10G ports, and if I (first) configure my port-channel to be in trunk mode - will the trunk mode configuration go all the way down to each port after I've combined them into that port-channel? Will the trunk configuration be copied down to each physical port?

--> see 1

3. If the native VLAN is set to 1, do I have to specify native VLAN in the port-channel configuration?

--> No. Vlan 1 is the default Vlan, you don't need to specify it explicitly

4. Should I even include the native VLAN in the port-channel "trunk allow list" just in case?

--> No. As a matter of fact, you cannot allow or disallow Vlan 1 from a trunk. It is always there.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

High level it should work as expected - what is other side device ? is that support LACP ? if not make it mode on (instead of active)

new device should work as expected, incase if you come across any issue.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

--> whatever you configure on the port channel is imherited by the member interfaces, so you don't need to configure each member interface individually

--> see 1

--> No. Vlan 1 is the default Vlan, you don't need to specify it explicitly

--> No. As a matter of fact, you cannot allow or disallow Vlan 1 from a trunk. It is always there.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card