cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring port to 6901 VoIP Phone

newport_s_2
Level 1
Level 1

We've been configuring our swtichports as follows for our 7945 and 6941 type VoIP Phones, but are having problems witht the 6901.

VLANS

Vlan 900 is a VoIP VLAN

Vlan 999 is a NULL VLAN and is shut down:

interface g0/1

switchport access vlan 999    {VLAN to direct data traffic to the bit bucket becuase a PC shouldn't be connected to this port}

switchport mode access

switchport voice vlan 900

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast

The 6901 phone doesn't support multiple VLANs, so our configuration above does not work unless vlan 999 is turned on (not good security wise).  We got the phones to work also by removing vlan 999 and switchport mode access.

switchport voice vlan 900

mls qos trust cos

spanning-tree portfast

Can someone help come up with a solution that provides the discarding of data for the access VLAN, while supporting the VoIP vlan for this phone?  I'm very busy so may have omitted information.  Please respond and I'll try to answer.

Thanks,

Sam

3 Replies 3

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

which firmware have you got on the 6901 ? There seems to be a bug for 9.0(2) that is solved in 9.1(1).

https://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-voip/2011-March/020926.html

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Good try, but according to cdp detail our phones are running the IOS below.  The phones are controlled by another group so cdp is the only way I can tell what version they're running until Monday.  I'll check the bug out anyway, and will confirm with the other group we're not running 9.0(2).

From CDP on a 4507R+E with Sup 6L, a 4510R+E with sup 7Es, and a C3560G-48PS:

Version :

6902SCCP.9-2-1-a

Thanks,

Sam

newport_s_2
Level 1
Level 1

Update: A new Cisco bug has been created for this issue.  Our Cisco 6901 VoIP phones will (in most cases) not work when connected to a C3560G or C3560X with a switchport data vlan applied and placed in a shutdown state.  We do not have this problem using the same phone and configuration on our 4500 switch platforms.

I can't read the bug, so would appreciate it if someone has access and can update this thread with details.

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCuh44433

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card