Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring SSH on SG350XG switches

michael.lacey
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to configure two SG350XG swithes remotly via console access only.

Using the CLI, how can I enable SSH on the switches?

I tried "IP SSH server" but on the cli, when I hit ? it does not show SSH as being a command I can select?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

pieterh
VIP
VIP

normally it needs something like:

line vty 0 4

transport input ssh

! but by default telnet and ssh are already enabled

but you also need to set 

- hostname: "hostname <name>"

- domain-name "ip domain xx.yy"

- create rsa keys "crypto key generate rsa modulus 2048"  

To enable SSH you need to have generated RSA keys. And to generate RSA keys you need to specify a router name and domain name. The other thing to be careful about is the version of code that the switches are running and whether that code supports encryption, which is necessary for SSH. Please tell us the exact file name of the image that the switches are running. If the file name includes k9 in the name then it does support encryption. Without k9 in the name then the image does not support encryption and so will not be able to enable SSH.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rasmus.elmholt
Level 7
Level 7
Hi
For the SG line of switches you need to enable SSH first. Only HTTP/S is enabled by default.

CLI way:
ip ssh server

!Cant rememeber if all of the below is needed.
aaa authentication login authorization SSH local
aaa authentication enable authorization SSH enable

line ssh
login authentication SSH
enable authentication SSH

Hi,

thanks for that, i've added all the commads as suggested, rebooted, but I still get an error when typing ssh

Switch1#ssh
% Unrecognized command

coming back to your first post, the device should accept the command "ip ssh server"

please post output of "show ip ssh"  or maybe attach output of "show running-config"

It accepted te command, but on the command line if i type ssh, it says command not recognised?
Output of show ip ssh indicates public key auth and public password disabled. I assume I need to enable them, but im not sure how?

Thanks

VA-DST-SW01#show ip ssh
SSH Server enabled. Port: 22
RSA key was generated.
DSA(DSS) key was generated.

SSH Public Key Authentication is disabled.
SSH Password Authentication is disabled.

Active incoming sessions:

IP address SSH username Version Cipher Auth Code
----------------- -------------- ----------- ----------- --------------

The command guide specifies these to enable

ip ssh password-auth

ip ssh pubkey-auth [auto-login]

auto-login—Specifies that the device management AAA authentication (CLI login) is not needed. By default, the login is required after the SSH authentication

But you mention the "ssh" command is not accepted?

just to be sure you did configure an ip-adress on the system(s)?

and maybe this options need to be added, either on the command line or by configuration command

/password password

Specifies the password to use when logging in on the remote networking device running the SSH server. If the keyword is not specified, the password configured by the ip ssh-client password command is used. If this keyword is specified the the /user keyword must be specified too.

/source-interface interface-id

Specifies the source interface which minimal IPv4/v6 address will be used as the source IPv4/v6 address. If the keyword is not specified, the source IPv4/IPv6 address configured by the ip ssh-client source-interface command is used.

/user user-name

Specifies the user name to use when logging in on the remote networking device running the SSH server. If the keyword is not specified, the user name configured by the ip ssh-client username command is used. If this keyword is specified the /password keyword must be specified too.

im starting to tthink this is a bit buggy? I've managed to enable telnet using pretty much the same method, but from the switch Icannot SSH to another as the command is not there? telent works fine. I have another switch that has been configured by someone else and works and I cant see what the difference is in the config?

hostname VA-DST-SW01
aaa authentication login authorization SSH local
aaa authentication enable authorization SSH enable
aaa authentication login authorization TELNET local
aaa authentication enable authorization TELNET enable
line telnet
login authentication TELNET
enable authentication TELNET
password XXX
exit
line ssh
login authentication SSH
enable authentication SSH
password XXX
exit
username XXX password encrypted XXX privilege 15
ip ssh server
ip domain name XXX
ip telnet server

Could you post the exact file name of the image running in both switches. Would like to verify that they are running exactly the same code.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Base image on both switches

Active-image: flash://system/images/image1.bin
  Version: 2.0.0.73

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card