Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring VLAN to split Switches into 2

xtremax-cisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

This is my first time configuring VLAN on Cisco switch.My main purpose of configuring VLAN is to break broadcast domain inside a switch into 2 separate VLAN. I have created the 2 VLAN and assign the port to it. However I don't know how to remove the ports from the default VLAN which is VLAN 1. So far this is what I've got :

VLAN 1 -> port 1-52

VLAN 10 -> port 1-10

VLAN 20 -> port 11-20

I'm using the CLI to configure these, hopefully I can get advise on how to do this in the CLI.

Thanks,

Rudy

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rudy

Unless you are configuring switch ports as trunk port or as a voice vlan then a switch port can be in only a single vlan. So if ports 1 - 10 are in vlan 10 then they are no longer in vlan 1. And if 11 - 20 are in vlan 20 then they are no longer in vlan 1. The ports are automatically removed from vlan 1 when they are assigned to some other vlan.

The easy way to see what ports are in what vlan is to use the command on the switch show vlan

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

get_rthym
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Rudy

R1#conf t
R1(config)#vlan 10
R1(config-vlan)name xxx
R1(config)# int fa0/10
R1(config-if)#switchport mode access
R1(config-if)#switchport access vlan 10
R1(config-if)#end
R1#sh vlan ....as Rick advised to verify.

There are plenty of resources on the net if you search for.

Hope this helps.

Lek

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card