Replies

Connect two LAN with two RV042

manudelapenya
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, i have this scenario:

LAN L1, with IP addresses 192.168.10.x, for Company C1

LAN L2, with IP addresses 192.168.11.x, for Company C2

I have networks separated: different racks (but very closer fisically: a wire can be thrown), different gateways (to DSL), but both LAN's must connect with each other.

I have adquired two RV042, one for each company to create VPN's (permitting telejob).

Many thanks, Manuel.

2 Replies 2

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

If the two companies, are located in 2 close racks, why don't you buy a L3 switch and then you inter-vlan routing?

Let's say that you want to stick to your option with 2 x RV042 routers. If I remember correctly each of these RV042 routers have 2 WAN interfaces. One of the WAN interface of each you connected to the DSL line ( I understand each company has it's own DSL service). Then you build a VPN tunnel between the two RV042 and add route on each router so that the other company network is reachable through VPN tunnel.

Something like:

LAN-C1 --------- RV042-C1--------DSL --------INTERNET------------DSL---------RV042-C2--------LAN-C2

|                                                                                |

---------------------------------- VPN --------------------------------------

This is not the best solution as all packets from one company to the other and viceversa will have to travel over VPN / Internet adding latency and bandwith limitation.

The second option would be to let the above design, but instead of creating a VPN tunnel, you connect together the RV042-C1 with RV042-C2 through the secondary WAN port (like back-to-back with a crossover ethernet cable). You configure a point to point network between routers and then route the LAN-C1 and LAN-C2 for reachability through the router's point-to-point connection.

If it's possible with this solution you eliminate the latency and bandwidth limitation.

Let me know if this solutions work for you!

Cheers,

Calin

Hello Calin,  many thanks for your answer.

My vendor says that connecting both routers using 2nd. WAN port could not work. Are you sure about my question, that RV042 will do "routing" between both LAN, having each one its own DSL connection?

Many thanks again

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card