Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connect unmanaged switch to managed switch with VLAN

I'm believe I know the answer, but I just wanted to get verification.

If I have a Cisco switch where I have one of the ports configured as an access port on VLAN 10, then I can connect an unmanaged switch to that access port and connect endpoints to that unmanaged switch, provided all the traffic flowing over the unmanaged switch is VLAN 10.

Is that correct?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
yes that will work , i would add spanning-tree guard root to prevent any stp loop too on Cisco side , it will still recieve bpdu traffic but not send it , just a protection method when connecting an unmanaged switch to a Cisco network

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi
yes that will work , i would add spanning-tree guard root to prevent any stp loop too on Cisco side , it will still recieve bpdu traffic but not send it , just a protection method when connecting an unmanaged switch to a Cisco network

quenawy
Level 1
Level 1

main issue is that all devices that connect to the unmanaged switch doesn't know that they are in Vlan 10 ( as only managed switches and routers know Vlan ) also the unmanaged switch doesn't know Vlan.

so you have to specify native vlan 10 on this port that connect to the unmanaged switch, so all packet from cisco to this unmanaged switch will go without tagged, so that mean all data from any device will go through cisco swith will be untagged, and it will be part of Vlan 1 also .

Sorry, @quenawy but much of what you wrote is either incorrect, misrepresented or unnecessary.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card