cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting Cisco router to home router to give lab network internet access

askhawkeye
Level 1
Level 1

I am fairly new to networking and am currently setting up a lab with a cisco 2611 router and  a couple switches.  I would like to connect my cisco router to my home router so I can connect my lab network to the internet.  I want to go through my home router so in the case that I do take my lab network down I still have internet access through my home router. 

I am wondering what my interface configuration should be for the port on my cisco router that will connect to my home router, also if this is even plausible?

6 Replies 6

Hello,

you need to connect your 2611 router to your home router and have the interface on the 2611 get an IP address from the home router via DHCP. You than NAT all your internal networks to that interface. The entire thing would look like this:

interface FastEthernet0/0

description Uplink to Home Router

ip address dhcp

ip nat outside

!

interface FastEthernet0/1

description Local LAN

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

ip nat inside

!

ip nat inside source list 1 interface FastEthernet0/0 overload

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0 dhcp

!

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255

On a 2611 (especially if the is "old"), you might find the interface command "ip address dhcp" isn't supported. If not, discover what subnet your home router provides to its clients and hard code an IP for that. (You'll also need to change the default route to use the home router's internal IP.)

Depending on what you're doing, you might find PAT doesn't work as well on a 2611 as it does on your home router. If not, if you have a limited number of internal hosts, you might configure to just use NAT (without PAT). I think doing that might only require removal of the "overload" keyword, but I'm unsure. (Georg may know off the top of his head.)

I just tested this configuration last night ... and with it you can connect directly to your ISPs modem you do not need to connect to your own router if you so choose not to. HOWEVER, this will leave your home network vulnerable so make sure to security harden the router and have a firewall somewhere. Most home routers have a built in firewall.  Just FYI for enthusiasts.

I recently got to take home a cisco2610 with dual t1 ports. Would this work for me? Could you tell me where to start reading? I would score major points with my professor if I could get this to work. I am trying to get it running at my house with my cox router. he swears it's possible I swear he's messing with me.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Adding to other post, all work but you only need to change this IP becuase most of the broaband uses 192.168.1.X, this will cause the issue here. 

interface FastEthernet0/1

description Local LAN

ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0   <<-- change to 10.10.1.1 255.255.255.0 network 

ip nat inside

!

access-list 1 permit 192.168.1.0 0.0.0.255  << --- change this IP address based on the above config to match 10.10.10.0 0.0.0.255

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

m.rana.ku
Level 1
Level 1

I am sharing a great content which will demonstrate step by step process of Connecting Cisco 2851 Router and Cisco 3560 Switch to ISP Home router and Configuring Cisco Router using Putty and finally Accessing Internet from Laptop and Desktop PC through this network. 

https://youtu.be/rRgdlhSbczU

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card