cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting devices to a 2950, ports missing when issuing "show vlan"

derple
Level 1
Level 1

Following along a tutorial, when the tutor runs the command "show vlan" all ports for devices plugged into the switch appear in the list of ports.

When i type the same command, the ports with computers connected are missing from the output. 

(When i set the interfaces to access mode instead of trunk they appear.)

I followed the tutorial exactly as it is presented, yet i have different results. 

Q. Where did i go wrong?

Tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6Jd3FV1bE&t=426s (at 9mins 0secs)

Tutorial screenshot

TutorialTutorial

My screenshot (Missing all ports from fa0/1-fa0/8)

MineMine

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @derple,

with show vlan command you see vlan affected on port thanks to switchport mode access vlan X command. If it is a Trunk port you cannot see with this command vlan id allowed on that Trunk port mode. You will check this with show interface trunk command.

-> Configure port where PC are connected as access mode port:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

Port fa 0/1 and 0/6 are well configured (access vlan 10) regarding your screenshoot. Confirm the config of the other ports.

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @derple,

with show vlan command you see vlan affected on port thanks to switchport mode access vlan X command. If it is a Trunk port you cannot see with this command vlan id allowed on that Trunk port mode. You will check this with show interface trunk command.

-> Configure port where PC are connected as access mode port:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

Port fa 0/1 and 0/6 are well configured (access vlan 10) regarding your screenshoot. Confirm the config of the other ports.

Best regards

in add to M02 said; show interface status will show u ports info and show interface trunk will show u info about trunk and trunking; use show interface trunk and show vlan br to see your port assignments

Note that PT could be using different switch or different software version; so port IDs may change; PT version has changed recently; PT on video looks few years old. What is your OS ?

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Win10, PT 8.2.1. I noticed that the tutorial shows all ports as in access mode from the beginning, something which is not congruent with the same device in PT i have. I thought i had done something wrong, but i understand i was not doing anything wrong, the tutorial goes on to show enabling access mode for each of the ports, which makes sense, even though they are already in access mode. From the beginning they are all in VLAN 1, which was never set at any point in the tutorial. 

Thankyou for your answer. 

nothing wrong; use show interface trunk and show vlan br to see your port assignments

have fun!

I had done this, and it worked out to work. It was the inconsistency of the tutorial with my PT lab that was confusing me. Thankyou for your answer.

You're so welcome @derple 

Best regards
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card