cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting to a new 3750 question

rshum
Level 1
Level 1

Ok, I haven't had to configure a switch from scratch in awhile and I know I'm just forgetting something stupid but I can't figure it out. I have a brand new 3750, I want to TFTP a new image onto it. I have configured VLAN1 with 10.1.1.1/24 and all the interfaces are on the vlan by default. I then plug my PC's NIC to f1/0/48 and configure my PC with 10.1.1.2/24. I can ping from my PC to the VLAN1 interface but not the other way around.

I confirmed my PC has the firewall turned off. Now I'm banging my head against this thing.

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

If VLAN1 was in shutdown mode he woul not be able to ping it. I think you should recheck your PC even though you have disabled the fw it may have something else avoiding the switch to ping it.

Connect other network devices to it that way you will know for sure if it's the PC playing up.

Cheers,

Fabio

View solution in original post

Here's another thing ... Have you tried other clients?

Had an issue similar.  Found out my client had "something" installed and requires a reboot to fix.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

VLAN1, by default, is in shutdown or disabled.

You're right but I forgot to mention that I did a no shut on int vlan1 as well.

clear arp?

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

If VLAN1 was in shutdown mode he woul not be able to ping it. I think you should recheck your PC even though you have disabled the fw it may have something else avoiding the switch to ping it.

Connect other network devices to it that way you will know for sure if it's the PC playing up.

Cheers,

Fabio

Here's another thing ... Have you tried other clients?

Had an issue similar.  Found out my client had "something" installed and requires a reboot to fix.

Limitless1801
Level 1
Level 1

You have something blocking your ICMP reply. Try adding ICMP to the firewall exceptions on your PC. I believe this is blocked even with the firewall off.

In hope it helps. RG

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the answer guys, I was using a coroporate Windows XP build and it had something loading that blocked incoming connection requests. I was able to confirm this by booting up in safe mode and the pings worked. I eventually just used a non-standard build and got it to work.

Fabio Francisco
Level 1
Level 1

No worries at all mate we glad that we could help... thanks for the ratings.

Cheers,

Fabio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card