Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting two switches

sundayviet
Level 1
Level 1

HI all,

I connected 2 Cisco Switch via 2 ports 1G-full duplex, I used straight cable, when I do "show interface status", then, port up but they are display only 100Mb speed. Does the straight cable is root cause of this problem ? should I change to cross cable to up this link to 1G?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

switches are MDIX now so crossover not really required any more apart from certain circumstances

did they auto set themselves to that , did you try hardcode the speed ?

speed 1000

duplex full

Auto-MDIX stands for automatic medium-dependent interface crossover, a feature that lets the interface figure out if the wrong cable is installed. A switch with Auto-MDIX feature enabled, detects the wrong cable and causes the switch to swap the pair it uses for transmitting and receiving, which solves the cabling problem. When connecting switches without the auto-MDIX feature, you must use straight-through cables to connect to devices such as servers, workstations, or routers and crossover cables to connect to other switches or repeaters. With auto-MDIX enabled, you can use either type of cable to connect to other devices, and the interface automatically corrects for any incorrect cabling.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

switches are MDIX now so crossover not really required any more apart from certain circumstances

did they auto set themselves to that , did you try hardcode the speed ?

speed 1000

duplex full

Auto-MDIX stands for automatic medium-dependent interface crossover, a feature that lets the interface figure out if the wrong cable is installed. A switch with Auto-MDIX feature enabled, detects the wrong cable and causes the switch to swap the pair it uses for transmitting and receiving, which solves the cabling problem. When connecting switches without the auto-MDIX feature, you must use straight-through cables to connect to devices such as servers, workstations, or routers and crossover cables to connect to other switches or repeaters. With auto-MDIX enabled, you can use either type of cable to connect to other devices, and the interface automatically corrects for any incorrect cabling.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What is the exact model of the two switches?  Could be a cabling problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card