Views
Helpful
Replies

Console does not accept input since speed command is issued at switch

chung689
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I tried to reconfigure a 3750 switch with startup config erased. After I issue the command "speed 115200" under the console line configuration, the terminal was stuck at this point. I thought it would work if I reopened the console session with speed 115200, but it didn't. As the switch has it startup config erased anyway, I tried to reload the switch to get the console working. The console terminal with speed 9600 showed the output normally, but it didn't accept any input. I tried to boot into the rommon mode but same result, normal output but no input is allowed. If the output is shown normally, the speed 9600 should be correct ? Anyone has encountered this and know how to get the console work again ? Thanks!

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If it  does show output , then you are already at the correct speed, look into issues with your terminal equipment or faulty cable , if possible use another terminal application (or even system) and cable to verify if the same happens.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As i understand it was working before you able to input data to console. after that you are not able to input after change baud and reboot to factory still not working, what terminal emulator ? (is there any changes in terminal config on PC ?)

check this thread may help you :

https://community.cisco.com/t5/switching/3750-recovery-baud-setting/td-p/1869826

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

I used the same computer same serial console before and after the command "speed 115200" was issued. Then I rebooted the switch, as the switch had its startup config erased, I assumed it rebooted as factory default. The terminal showed the output normally, but just doesn't accept any input after the message "Press RETURN to get started".

The software I used was putty.

I had a look on the thread but I need to enter command in the rommon mode ? I cant enter anything in the terminal.

Hello,

the 3750 is a very old device, with no warranty anymore. What you could do is open the chassis, locate the console port, remove the wires, reattach the wires, and reboot the switch. It sounds complicated but it really isn't.

Hello,

can you try to connect to the console from another laptop/PC ? 

Hello
what terminal emulation software are you using?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card