cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Console from a Laptop

jinkazama_2
Level 1
Level 1

Right guys, Just bought my home lab, i have a laptop with no Serial Connection, only Ehternet and USB.

How can i connect to my Routers? Are these USB to Serial connectors any good? Cant i just RJ45 from my Ehternet to the Console in my kit using a rollover?

Any issues regarding hyperterminal if i use an adapter/ethernet port?

Thanks

Omid

5 Replies 5

paddyxdoyle
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

Do you have a PC Card II slot or PCMCIA on your laptop?

I am sure you do, you can buy PCMCIA to serial adapters from http://www.brainboxes.com

I have just bought a RS232 PC card for a Jornada 820 to use just for consoling onto routers as fed up with lugging laptop around London and it works very well.

There are a few different types you can buy 1 port up to 4 port and you can also buy ruggedised ones with the serial adapter bit moulded to the card.

The one i bought

(http://www.brainboxes.com/products/serial/product.asp?id=PM-020)

was about £85.00

HTH

Paddy

ahbanks
Level 1
Level 1

The router's console and aux ports are RS-232 (now EIA-232) connections, so connecting to an ethernet port won't work.

You will need to get a USB Serial adaptor. I've used one by Belkin that works well. Be careful if you use linux, or intend to try. Many of these devices are not supported, so make sure you check the compatibility lists.

On Hyperterminal, get the private edition. It's a free download from Hillgraeve, and will handle break correctly. Otherwise, I like TeraTerm, also free.

Telnet (native, hyperterminal, or other client) can be used once the router has an IP address configured, usually the minimal configuration is an ip address and "no shutdown" on an ethernet port. A crossover cable will be needed to directly connect your laptop's ethernet port to the router.

timcaparoon
Level 1
Level 1

I had the same issue - HP laptop and no serial connection. Someone recommended an USB to serial to me - I am currently using it and it works great. The one I use is made by BAFO.

I second that. Whay make things more difficult than they ought to be. You can to Ebay as I did and by a USB to serial cable for now mor than 30 dollars.

I purchased a USB to DB9 from iCincepts for $35. I have not had any problems connecting to Cisco's PIX501/515,1700,2600,2950.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card