Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert Cisco 1941 Router to POE with 4 port switch

charlesjudd
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a Cisco 1941 K9 Router.  I want to add POE functionaltiy to it.  Specifically I want a 4 port EHWIC POE switch to power a couple of AP's.

This is what I understand I need;

• Upgrade/replace the internal power supply with PWR-1941-POE power supply,  This is supplied with a fan replacement also (not yet purchased).
  • buy 1 x EHWIC-4ESG (4 port switch)
  • buy 1 x ILPM-4 (inline daughter card / power supply board)

I think the real question here is the 4 port switch... there are two types available

one is

• EHWIC-4ESG=

the other is

• EHWIC-4ESG-P=

Is there any difference between these two switch modules? or are they the same and the more expensive "P" version is simply supplied with the ILPM-4 daughter card for POE?

I have recieved via courier today 1 x EHWIC-4ESG, and found a ILPM-4 on ebay for a good price.  WIll this provide POE through the switch EHWIC-4ESG?

Thanks!

7 Replies 7

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Looking at this link:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-612808.html

TABLE 10

EHWIC-4ESG-P=
4 port 10/100/1000 Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Gigabit Ethernet switch with Power over Ethernet spare

EHWIC-4ESG
4 port 10/100/1000 Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Gigabit Ethernet switch

You need this module

EHWIC-4ESG-P=

HTH

Alex

Please rate useful posts

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.

Thanks for the link acampbell,

I understand there is a clear distinction between the part numbers, and the switch "EHWIC-4ESG-P=" provides POE, however, it is not clear if the POE and non POE swtiches them selves are the same, and the only difference between the P and non P version is that the POE version is supplied with the ILPM-4 daughter card.

I dont have a cisco partner account person to call, and the online retail outlets are not providing robust, trustworthyy clear advice.

I currently own 1 x EHWIC-4ESG and would like to use this to save spending another $400 on a POE version of the switch.

does anyone have a link to a PDF or pictures comparing the two switches, and/or perhaps the installation process?  I could look at these and see if the switches are indeed the same, or if there is an additional plug etc.

thanks for your help and feedback Alex,

Charles

ok,

here is an update... I have formally ascertained that

EHWIC-4ESG= and

EHWIC-4ESG-P

are the same thing... the difference being that one is supplied with a small daughter card

ILPM-4

The  ILPM-4 arrived on the coruier today, and I opened up the 1941 router... and urm... there is no where to plug it in!

Does anyone know where the ILPM-4 should plug into?  I can't find a "how to install" guide on the Ciso site.  Just a "this is what you need for POE".

EHWIC-4ESG

hello. I assume when you state there is nowhere to plug the daughter card into you are referring to nowhere to plug it into the chassis once it is installed on the ehwic. Another assumption is that you are using non-PoE power supply, and this is your issue. There is nowhere to plugin daughter card onto power supply when non-PoE power supply is installed. You will need PWR-1941-POE to successfully power your PoE ports.

Hope this helps

_dschlicht

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

For documentation see Inline Power and Optional Power Supply section of: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/qa_c67-612908.html

And

Section http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5949/qa_c67-612908.html of: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps10598/ordering_guide_c07_557736.html#wp9000776

Hope this helps

_dschlicht

Thanks dschlicht...

I have now ordered 1 x PWR-1941-POE.  This hobby/home prep lap for CCNA/CCNP is proving to be an expensive past time!

Just so i'm clear, the daughter card will plug into the PWR-1941-POE power supply when this arrives?  or should it plug into the EHWIC-4ESG=

cheers,

Charles

daughter card is installed directly onto the ehwic, and cable connects to the backplane of the PoE power supply.

See http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/interfaces/ic/hardware/installation/guide/esw_hwic.html#wp1038970 for install instructions. Keep in mind that the process to install daughter card onto ehwic will be similar but this may point you to install elsewhere rather than to backplane as stated on FAQ I posted prior. This is because this install doc is for g1 ISR. I was unable to find g2 install instructions. I got to this doc by browsing support docs for 1900 ISR.

Hope this helps

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card