Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting an ISR4331 to Smart Licencsing

WillDudeGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Community,

So my organisation is finally upgrading to an IOS version (Amsterdam 17.03.05) where smart licensing is enforced, we have hundreds of devices and our smart licensing account is an absolute shambles. In particular our ISR4331s which are running the securityK9 license do not have any licenses in our smart accounts. all our devices are on a secure network which is required to be disconnected from the internet therefore the method we need to use for licensing is the "Not connected to CSSM and no CLSU" method.

After upgrading the 4331s, I have successfully registered them to the CSSM using the above method, upon completing this i note that the SecurityK9 usage was reported to the CSSM and due to there being no licenses in the pool, this came up as a deficit, I then attempted to do the Device Led Conversion but this is not a valid command with this version of IOS.

I should also note that the licenses on the devices themselves are happy and "IN USE"

I contact the Cisco TAC team, who have advised me that this is normal (something about not purchasing the SecurityK9 license separately to the ISR4331). I don't like the idea of having a deficit in our account, especially considering there may be a time where we need to purchase these licenses which will be deposited into our smart account only for them to potentially pick up the aforementioned deficit.

I can't help but think I'm receiving incorrect advice from Cisco TAC or that this is an oversight by Cisco, Surely they don't want people registering devices in there Smart Accounts where there is no allocations. Has anyone else had this issue or can give me either advice or some peace of mind??

3 Replies 3

Hi

I think you should not worry. Ive seen large corporation running huge network with expired eval license because CSSM does not work or devices are not properly configured. And, everything moving on smuthly. 

You said "I should also note that the licenses on the devices themselves are happy and "IN USE", for me would be more than enough to have peace with youself and, on top of that,  you still have tac statement. 

When you fill up your smart account with SecurityK9 license they will not be consume by those ISR automatically so nothing to worry about. 

Hi Flavio,

Thankyou for your response, this also means that I am unable to move these licenses to other devices, which from my understanding is one of the purposes of smart licensing to begin with. I would like o have unlicensed devices sitting on the shelf as spares which i can then move licenses onto at a later date.

??

thanks,

Will

I got it and you are right. On this case, I think you should carry this not under the tecnicall perspective but, first, under contract perspective with cisco reseller. Might exist some way to fix this. I dont know, maybe generating new lisences for the same devices but through smart licensing. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card