Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting L3 to L2 switch

lerner cisco
Level 1
Level 1

All,

I have a downstream switch which have currently acting as L3 and forming eigrp neighbour ship , the requirement  is I need to move the uplink connection to new core switch .

Existing switch , SW1  - L3 -   int vlan 36 10.100.36.1/24  - user desktop gateway on this switch , currently forming eigrp neighbour ship with old core switch with /30

I got new brand core switch  : SW3 : it also having  hsrp gateway configured on the switch  int vlan 36 -  10.100.36.1 /24 for the other downstream L2 Switches,

I need to establish UP link connection  between SW1 to SW3 -  that is trunk ,  at SW1 change the IP address from 10.100.36.1/24 to 36.5/24 , also on the sw1 - retain the command which is exist as of now  -  ip routing  - in this case , is desktop connected on the SW1  will talk to gateway  and user acces will be fine

Or

I need to configure on the SW1 : no ip routing  - after this  shall I need to reload the switch  - or without reload it works ?? please suggest.

Regards

Learner

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If SW1 is only going to be L2 and not L3 you should really disable routing ie. "no ip routing".

If you do this make sure you add "ip default-gateway 10.100.36.5" before you turn if off.

Just to add a L2 switch as you probably know only has one SVI for management. Usually you would want a separate vlan for management whereas currently it would be in the client vlan which is not ideal.

It will work so if you want to leave it like that it is fine but just thought I'd mention it.

Edit - sorry forgot to say, you don't need to reload the switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If SW1 is only going to be L2 and not L3 you should really disable routing ie. "no ip routing".

If you do this make sure you add "ip default-gateway 10.100.36.5" before you turn if off.

Just to add a L2 switch as you probably know only has one SVI for management. Usually you would want a separate vlan for management whereas currently it would be in the client vlan which is not ideal.

It will work so if you want to leave it like that it is fine but just thought I'd mention it.

Edit - sorry forgot to say, you don't need to reload the switch.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card