cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Coping with repeated occurrences of dhcp-rate-limiting

stuartkendrick
Level 1
Level 1

My flock of Catalyst 2960X have been increasingly err-disabling ports on account of DHCP Rate Limiting

2020-02-20T05:57:45.184947-08:00 2s-2-esx-mgmt 66380: 066362: 000370: Feb 20 05:
57:44.138 pst: %PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: dhcp-rate-limit error detected on Gi1/0/1, putting Gi1/0/1 in err-disable state (2s-2-esx-1)

The ports which trigger these events typically feed Wireless Access Points -- so the WAP goes down for a few minutes, then returns to life once the switch auto-recovers / re-enables the port

This cycle is disruptive to WiFi service of course, so from a WiFI perspective, I am tempted to disable this feature.  On the other hand, from a DHCP server perspective (I run DHCP services on AD Domain Controllers), I'm wary -- if the DCs end up pegging their resources on responding to floods of DHCP Discovers, the knock-on effects might be quite a bit worse.

Anyone else seeing this?  What, if anything, are you doing about it?

I have written this up more thoroughly at:  https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless-and-mobility/wifi-clients-issuing-200-dhcp-requets-per-second/td-p/4031516

--sk

1 Reply 1

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Wifi environments can sometimes be crowded especially with mobiles, leading to spurious dhcp requests. In such cases I would turn the rate-limiting off for ap-connections.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card