Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy flash: tftp: Error

sivaalthi85
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm having problem copying IOS image from Cisco 2960s Switch Flash to TFTP server.

My switch Vlan 1 IP is 192.168.1.1

My laptop IP is 192.168.1.2

I can Ping from Pc to Switch and Switch to PC as well.

Windows 7 and tftp32 server I'm using

Its giving me Timeout

%Error opening tftp://192.168.1.2/c2960s.bin (Timeout )

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

If all suggested above is working fine then try the following command i.e:

1- Laptop and Switch Managment VLAN on the same subnet and both are able to ping each other?

2- Try with other TFTP server.(tftp 64 or solarwinds)

3- Disable the firewall on the laptop. If possbile try with any other laptop if still fails.

4- Try the following command: Switch# no service config and save the config and try.

HTH

Regards

Inayath.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

This is an issue with your pc and tftp server. With the tftp server running, open a command prompt and type "netstat -an | find ":69". If it comes back with a line, the tftp server is listening. Check and make sure the windows firewall isn't running as well.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi John,

Nothing is coming.

I iisued following command but no output at all.

C:\netstat -an | find ":69"

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Timeout?  This means that your appliance can't "see" your TFTP server.  From the appliance, can it ping the TFTP server.

What file(s) are you copying?  How far is this appliance from you?

If you have a supported USB, you can transfer the files via the 2960S' USB port.

HI Leolaohoo,

I have 2gb scan disk pen drive. Can I use that to copy IOS from FLash to USB and save it into my Laptop.

Do I need to install any soecial software or not ?

Please also let me know the steps to copy IOS from that same 2gb scandisk to Switch flash.

Thanks,

Chinnu.

I have 2gb scan disk pen drive. Can I use that to copy IOS from FLash to USB and save it into my Laptop.

If your USB flash is supported, you can.  Just format the USB flash to FAT16 and copy the BIN file across.

HI Leolaohoo,

I connected the console cable to my laptop directly and through hyper terminla im configuring the new switch.

I used straight cable and connected one end to the laptop ethernet connection on the other end to the port 10 on the switch.

I can ping from Switch to my laptop and I can ping laptop to my switch VLAN ip.

Im trying to copying IOS from Flash to tftp server.

Hi,

On your PC, is the TFTP application running? Is yes, you should see the IP as 192.168.1.2

HTH

hi sharifi,

On my tftp server I can see the address 192.168.1.2

but still the same error.

timed out

Any suggestions please.

Hi,

Do you have any firewall application on your PC that may prevent TFTP connection?

Aslo, what TFTP application are you running?

I used straight cable and connected one end to the laptop ethernet connection on the other end to the port 10 on the switch.

So I presume that port 10 is on the same VLAN as your management IP address?   And the management VLAN ip address is enabled?

Did you disable the firewall of the laptop?

Can the laptop ping the IP address of the switch?  Ping the IP address of itself?

Can the switch ping the IP address of the laptop?  Ping the IP address of itself?

Hi,

If all suggested above is working fine then try the following command i.e:

1- Laptop and Switch Managment VLAN on the same subnet and both are able to ping each other?

2- Try with other TFTP server.(tftp 64 or solarwinds)

3- Disable the firewall on the laptop. If possbile try with any other laptop if still fails.

4- Try the following command: Switch# no service config and save the config and try.

HTH

Regards

Inayath.

chr6is000
Level 1
Level 1

ALL OF THE ADVICE IS GREAT DID YOU GET IT WORKING YET?

ANOTHER PIECE OF ADVICE IS TO MAKE SURE YOU RIGHT CLICK ON THE TFTP AND RUN AS ADMIN.

YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO COPY FLASH TFTP IF YOU DONT RUN AS ADMIN.

GLHF

sivaalthi85
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks to everyone.

It was problem with the Laptop firewall.
But I don't have rights to turn off the firewall settings.

I used another laptop and it worked fine.

Once again many many thanks for each and everyone.

Have a good day guys...!!

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card