Helpful
Replies

copying config from startup giving me error

uthth1971
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All

I need a help as soon as possible.

I am copying a config file from flash to startup, which contains creating vlans and naming them. When I copy from Flash to startup and reload the router I am getting an error as BAD ended file and Vlans are not being created.

I did my research and found, when I copy from startup, when Vlan is created and it is waiting for return-key  input from the user at the end of the name for that vlan.

Eg:

Vlan 8

name NET-MGMT

^    it is waiting here and expecting a return charactor (enter key), which means the switch is expecting input (enter key) from user.

Is any one knows how to send a return key in a config file.  Please help me ASAP so don't have cut and paste 1500 sites manually than pushing one file through cisco works............................... i would much appreciate your quick reply

Eg:

Config fiel test.txt file contains

vlan 8
name NET-MGMT

vlan 9
name POS

Vlan 10

name U-SCAN

and the plateform I am testing: 2960 with new IOS (15.1)

2 Replies 2

Shashank Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Switch requires a little extra time to commit the config when it comes to creating vlans. The pause you are seeing is because when you create a new vlan, the switch is unable to take the next line of config unless it has finished creating the first vlan. This problem is seen typically when you copy paste the vlan config like this.(next line of config is pushed on the CLI while switch is still working on the previous line).

Correct way is to create the vlans one by one instead of copy pasting the config. Better and easier way is to use VTP to populate vlans if you have a large number of switches to configure.

Hope this helps,

Shashank

P.S. Please rate the helpful post

you are missing my point................... it is not taking time to create the vlan than

waiting at the end of the name string of vlan name for enter key from user.

..................... until user hit the enter key switch do not know the name of the vlan is completed........... so its wait for the user to hit the enter key

hope you get my point... not an issue of create vlans

All i need to know what will be the return key which is equal to enter key

it is like motd starts with # and end with # so the router knows, motd msg is done when it sees the # at the end

your suggestion is very poor of telling me to configure vlans in each switch for 1500 location each location may have more than one switch? give me a breake

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card