Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switch in network

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

This might be very naive question, but i am curious to know why is a core switch needed in the network.

I know for core routing this device needs to be there. But, if i have a network involving wan/internet links, Firewalll, edge switch etc.

In this case, can't i use the firewall to have all the major vlans and use it for routing?

appreciate all inputs to help get an idea on this. Thanks.

3 Replies 3

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

You don't have to have a core switch. But it is standard practice to do so  - it is part of Cisco's hierarchical three layer model (access, distribution and core) where each different tier has different functions. The core's main function is the high speed switching of packets whereas more CPU intensive operations (classification of packets, ACLs etc.) are performed at other layers.

You could define VLANs and routed interfaces on the firewall but this might not be optimal depending on the size of your network. Do you really want every inter-VLAN routed packets going up to the firewall and back? And if your firewall fails then you have crippled your network.

Maybe if you can post a diagram of what you are planning it might help to understand your requirements better.

The three-tier-hierarchy is about to change with the impending release/announcement of the 6807-X/6880-X.  The announcement will be made during Cisco Live 2013 (Orlando).

There's a WebEx you can participate during the Breakout Sessions but the announcement will be made during the Openning Keynote Address.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco