cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch Upgrade

m.back@aap3.com
Level 1
Level 1

We are currently upgrading our network infrastructure and we have two cisco WS-C3560G-24TS switches operating with HSRP as a collapsed Core/Distribution layer. I would like to replace these with two switches we can stack and do away with HSRP, but unsure model to go for?

With other clients we've previously used 3750-X switches stacked as a collapsed Core/Distribution and they work well. However, I am aware that Cisco have both the 3650 and 3850 switches available now.

Can anyone help identify which would be the most appropriate model to upgrade to?

Cheers,

Matt :-)

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Matt,

Here is a chart that could be helpful in selecting a switch.

In general, the 2960x is mainly layer-2. I have not used the 3650 series yet, but I know that the 3850s will work well. The IP Base license provides you all the basic functionality you need, but if you are planning to use routing protocols and/or other features like BGP, PBR, etc.. than you need IP Services license.

http://www.ipv6.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-2960-x-series-switches/sales-tool-c96-730473.pdf

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

All the new Cisco switches, i.  e.  2960S/X, 3650 and 3850, support stacking of various switch stack members and speed.  It all boils down to your budget.  

Alternatively, if you want to simply collapse your core-distro-access into a single "unit", then you may want to look into 6880/6807-X with 6800IA and 3560CX-12PD switches.  In this method, your downstream switches are dumb switches and require a parent switch (like the 6880/6807-X).  The 3560CX-12PD switch is a hybrid switch.  This model can operate normally in IOS or as an Instant Access client. 

Another thing to anticipate in the next few months:  Catalyst 6840 with Sup6T.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card