Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Core Switch

Hello Everyone,

I need to know how to connect 10 switches to core switch(fiber cable)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pretty simple, you just plug the optical transceiver into the switch port for that transceiver type.  Of course, this assumes you're using the correct transceivers and fiber between the devices you're connecting (as discussed by the other posters.)

BTW, as you mention your core device is a WS-C3750G-12S-S, that's a "special" 3750 switch designed to be used as a small core or distribution device.  It has additional hardware resources and model specific SDM templates for such roles (this in addition to the usual SDM templates for the 3750Gs - also if you stack this switch, the model specific SDM templates can only be used if all the stack members are the same model, the -12S).

I presume you also know the 3750G series is well beyond end-of-support.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@ahmedhamed301187 wrote:
I need to know how to connect 10 switches to core switch(fiber cable)

If you do not know how, it would be a wise decision to find someone who does.  

I know how connect switches but i don't know how to connect it by fiber cables

If you arelady configured the switches and how your topology look like - do you have any high level diagram how these 10 switches you looking to connect ?

connecting wrong port and wrong will have side effect of loop in the network.

Look at the below guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/solutions/CVD/Oct2015/CVD-Campus_LAN_L2_Access_Simplified_Dist_Deployment-Oct2015.pdf

there is no information provided by you what model of the switches these are and whatSFP you have purchased ? and what Fibre cables you have.

check the cisco SFP model and their support length :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/interfaces-modules/transceiver-modules/data_sheet_c78-455693.html

Most cases we use uplink module to conenct each other switches, (where you plug the SFP in to uplink module)

Hope this helps you to move forward

when you posting back next time post more information, where are you up to and where did you stuck what steps you followed to fix the isssue

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Core Switch models:

Cisco WS-C3750G-12S-S Catalyst 

I use single mode fiber cables

Hope i have provided enough information in the post - so you need to OS2 cables

WS-C3750G-12S-S - it has all SFP ports with gigabit ethernet

Rule here -

when you connecting each switch, make sure you use same SFP Module (which can support single mode fibre or os2 cables)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@ahmedhamed301187 wrote:

The differences are the cable types ( Mulitmode= MM - Singlemode = SM) which need to match the structured fibre cabling (if any) of your network, These cable should also have the correct cable connectors ( LC/SC/ST) to terminate into the fibre modules (SFPs) which are inserted into your network switches and core

As you don’t mention what switch hardware your are using and the distances between your core and those 10 switches it hard to determine what is required.

So can you elaborate on the topology of your network?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Pretty simple, you just plug the optical transceiver into the switch port for that transceiver type.  Of course, this assumes you're using the correct transceivers and fiber between the devices you're connecting (as discussed by the other posters.)

BTW, as you mention your core device is a WS-C3750G-12S-S, that's a "special" 3750 switch designed to be used as a small core or distribution device.  It has additional hardware resources and model specific SDM templates for such roles (this in addition to the usual SDM templates for the 3750Gs - also if you stack this switch, the model specific SDM templates can only be used if all the stack members are the same model, the -12S).

I presume you also know the 3750G series is well beyond end-of-support.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card