Views
Helpful
Replies

Core switches 9606 StackWise virtual bandwidth connectivity

Bazoka
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have two core switches 9606, on each switch I do have a single 40G line card and a single 1/10/25G line card, both of them are interconnecting the distribution switches.

the question shall I connect them for StackWise virtual connectivity, two 40G links on the same line card or one link 40G and one link 25G on the second line card?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

This is the cisco requirement for StackWise Virtual:

• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be directly connected to each other.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be of the same switch model.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same license level.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same software version.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same SDM template.
• All the ports used for configuring a StackWise Virtual Link (SVL) must share the same speed. For
example, you cannot configure a 10G or a 40G port to form an SVL, simultaneously.
Configuring Cisco StackWise Virtual
When you enable Cisco StackWise Virtual on the device:
• Layer 2, Layer 3, Security, Quality of Service, Multicast, Application, Monitoring and Management,
Multiprotocol LabelSwitching, and High Availability are supported. Contact the Cisco TechnicalSupport
Centre for the specific list of features that are supported under each one of these technologies.
• Resilient Ethernet Protocol, Remote Switched Port Analyzer, and Sofware-Defined Access are NOT
supported.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

This is the cisco requirement for StackWise Virtual:

• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be directly connected to each other.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be of the same switch model.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same license level.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same software version.
• Both switches in the Cisco StackWise Virtual pair must be running the same SDM template.
• All the ports used for configuring a StackWise Virtual Link (SVL) must share the same speed. For
example, you cannot configure a 10G or a 40G port to form an SVL, simultaneously.
Configuring Cisco StackWise Virtual
When you enable Cisco StackWise Virtual on the device:
• Layer 2, Layer 3, Security, Quality of Service, Multicast, Application, Monitoring and Management,
Multiprotocol LabelSwitching, and High Availability are supported. Contact the Cisco TechnicalSupport
Centre for the specific list of features that are supported under each one of these technologies.
• Resilient Ethernet Protocol, Remote Switched Port Analyzer, and Sofware-Defined Access are NOT
supported.

So, in this case, I will connect two links on the 40G line card and that's it, correct?

Actually I dont follow when you say "two links" . Above you said "I do have a single 40G line card ".  If I understood correctly, you have two boxex with on 40G line card each, right?

By link I understand RX and TX altogether. Maybe we are saying the same thing dofferently.

Yes, I have two boxes, one 40G Line card and 1/10/25G line card on each switch, because all the SVL links must be same speed I will connect them on the 40G line cards only, correct?

Now I got it. Thats correct.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card