Views
Helpful
Replies

Cos vs DSCP

dcanady55
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've been searching the web and forums for awhile and cannot seem to find the answer to my questions regarding this topic. It seems there is a wide variety of opinions out there and was hoping someone could clear up my confusion.

To start I'm talking about 2960-x Cat. Switches

My phone vendor recommends I perform QoS at L2 and L3. This would require me to trust COS at the interface level and I'm not sure why. If I trust DSCP at the interface level this will be end to end. If a PC sitting behind a phone (none cisco btw) sends a COS value this will get remarked to DSCP zero correct? I know there's some risk for a PC to manipulate it's traffic to set DSCP to 46 besides that fact why else would I care to trust COS? From my understanding most applications wouldn't set a COS value nor have I sniffed any that send DSCP yet. If I was going to use NBAR to further break out my traffic it would be a the router level. 

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

Meghna Muralinath
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Derek,

When you enable qos on the switch and look at the "sh mls qos" on the switch

2960X#sh mls qos

QoS is enabled

QoS ip packet dscp rewrite is enabled ------------------------> observe here that dscp re-write is enabled.

Disable this if you do not want the dscp value of the packet from being overwritten.

Command : 2960XR(config)#no mls qos rewrite ip dscp

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card