Views
Helpful
Replies

Could not use "speed 10Mbps" and "duplex full" on 6504E

Hai Dao Tuan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

Our company are using connection between 6504E (VSS) and WAN switch 2960S by the default configuration of speed and duplex (speed auto, duplex auto). Current configuration and connection please check in attached files

Due to the limitation of WAN access line, so we want to set the speed of connection to 10Mbps and duplex full

But when we applied the configuration

interface range Gx1/y1, Gx2/y2, ...

speed 10

duplex full

the interfaces on all SWs are down

Gi1/4/36                       down           down     WANSW_2960S

Gi1/4/48                       down           down     WANSW_2960S

Gi2/4/36                       down           down     WANSW_2960S

Gi2/4/48                       down           down     WANSW_2960S

Po64                           down           down      WANSW_2960S

If we used duplex auto, so the links are up. But my boss required to use "duplex full"

Please support or advice me the reason I cannot use the static setting "speed 10, duplex full" on both sites of SWs

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure if it applies to the 2960S (or 6500), but on some devices auto/auto also supports auto-MDI.  On those, if you hard code speed/duplex, you need to insure you're using the correct cable; cross-over for switch-to-switch.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Unsure if it applies to the 2960S (or 6500), but on some devices auto/auto also supports auto-MDI.  On those, if you hard code speed/duplex, you need to insure you're using the correct cable; cross-over for switch-to-switch.

Tks Joseph

Last time I did also think about that, but because we didn't order cross-cable cables so I checked on both SWs site and retried to enter "mdix auto" command (for sure only). So you mean that even auto-MDIX has been enabled, but if I hard code speed/duplex, the auto-MDIX will be disabled by default?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I believe that's generally the case.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card