cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CPU on stack through the the roof

Hulk8647
Level 1
Level 1

Must be the IOS, thats the only thing I can think of. Switch 3-6  CPU is OK under 15%. It's just SW1 and SW2. Any ideas why that is?

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON
BOOTLDR: CAT3K_CAA Boot Loader (CAT3K_CAA-HBOOT-M) Version 3.56, RELEASE SOFTWARE (P)

6 WS-C3650-48PS switches stacked. The first 2 CPU's are over 100%

#sh processes cpu history switch 1

cpu1.png

#sh processes cpu history switch 2

cpu2.png

#sh processes cpu sorted | ex 0.00     0.00     0.00     0

cpu3.png

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What you posted is the Rommon version and not the IOS.

It is most likely due to an IOS bug.  An upgrade may remedy the issue.

HTH

Oh, sorry, I was meant to paste this

Software (CAT3K_CAA-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 03.06.05E RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Thats what I thought, does that mean that the PCU should be OK? or because is it really that bad, I would think if it's at the level, the switch would be practically un operational

Yes, at 100% CPU the switch is not really operational. It can be any moment that the software will crash.

If this is in production, I would get a maintenance window to upgrade but before you do the upgrade make sure to open a ticket with Cisco as this may be a known bug and therefore they will recommend a version to upgrade to.

HTH

" I would think if it's at the level, the switch would be practically un operational"

Well, for transit traffic, ASIC hardware should be doing almost all the forwarding, and that doesn't show as CPU. For CPU provided stuff, much depends on how highly prioritized the CPU consuming processes are to other processes. If the high CPU using processes are of lower priority, you can have flat out CPU consumption, with little impact to anything else.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Could be CSCuo14511.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card