cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CRC errors caused by having 2 IPs?

brianbanks
Level 1
Level 1

So far, my experience with CRC errors are that they are pretty much 100% hardware related.

Usually cables or bad ports, and one time a whole line of switches had a bad chip on the gig port.

A couple of days ago, I troubleshot a workstation that had a terrible connection. Checking the port stats I found that there were a rediculous amount of CRC errors, almost no collisions and tons of dropped packets. This was on a switch that had only a CU connection to a computer and fiber back to the backbone. The CRCs were on the fiber port. I spent forever troubleshooting thinking I had a bad fiber until I discovered the computer had an extra IP configured. One was in the correct subnet, the other was a 192.168.x.x address. Once I deleted it, everything was great.  I checked 24 hours later and the port stats were still perfect.

I'm just hoping someone can explain the *why* of this one. I hate not knowing the reason for something.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

That is a quite strange symptom. I am not sure of the cause and wonder whether it might be that the computer was sending frames for the second IP and doing something like adding a vlan tag - which the switch access port would not expect and would generate CRC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Brian

That is a quite strange symptom. I am not sure of the cause and wonder whether it might be that the computer was sending frames for the second IP and doing something like adding a vlan tag - which the switch access port would not expect and would generate CRC.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card