cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create stack with brand-new switches

michael-luo
Level 1
Level 1

I have two brand-new switches (never configured): 3750X-48port and 3750X-24port.

If I'd like to make the 48-port switch as #1 member in the stack and the master, what's the best practice (minimum steps) I should take?

My expected result is like below:

show switch

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 4403.a7ec.5120

H/W   Current

Switch#  Role   Mac Address     Priority Version  State

----------------------------------------------------------

*1       Master 4403.a7ec.5120     15     3       Ready    <--48-port

.2       Member 4403.a7eb.6340     14     3       Ready    <--24-port

I've read the following documents.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12.2_55_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

I think I should use the following commands:

switch 1 priority 15
switch 2 provision ws-c3750x-24p
switch 2 priority 14

But I'm not sure about the squence of actions.  For example:

• Shall I configure the 1st switch then connect the 2nd one?
  • Shall I connect both switches then configure?
  • Shall the 2nd switch be power-on or power-off when I connect it with stack cable?

Thank you very much!

switch   1 priority 15
switch 2 provision   ws-c3750x-24p
switch 2 priority 14
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Michael,

First Be aware:

Both switch have same IOS, same fature set.

Procedure to connect:

1.  Power on the switch master (ONLY)

2.  Attach the stacking cable to the 2nd member

3.  Power up the 2nd  members

Notice: if switch 2 is the 2nd switch, then power this switch after the master has been powered up and stacking cable has been applied.

After both switches are up then u can enter the prioritz.

3750−Stk>show switch

check the number and priority with this command

How do you manually change the member number?

1. Go to global configuration mode.

Issue the command switch current−stack−member−number renumber new−stack−member−number

2. Return to the privileged EXEC mode and reload the member with the command reload slot

current−stack−member−number .

3. After the member boots up, issue the command show switch to verify the stack member number. If

the number is used by another member in the stack, the switch selects the lowest available number in

the stack.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Michael,

First Be aware:

Both switch have same IOS, same fature set.

Procedure to connect:

Notice: if switch 2 is the 2nd switch, then power this switch after the master has been powered up and stacking cable has been applied.

After both switches are up then u can enter the prioritz.

3750−Stk>show switch

check the number and priority with this command

How do you manually change the member number?

1. Go to global configuration mode.

Issue the command switch current−stack−member−number renumber new−stack−member−number

2. Return to the privileged EXEC mode and reload the member with the command reload slot

current−stack−member−number .

3. After the member boots up, issue the command show switch to verify the stack member number. If

the number is used by another member in the stack, the switch selects the lowest available number in

the stack.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Questions:

1) Regarding #1 above, there should be no stacking cable connect to the switch when powering it up.  Or it doesn't matter?

2) Regarding #2 above, shall I attach the stacking cable to 1st switch first, then 2nd switch?  Or it doesn't matter?

3) After step #1 and #2, the 1st switch is aware that it's in a stack and automatically assume member number 1.  Is that correct?

4) What triggers the switch to realize it's a member of stack instead of a standalone switch?

Thanks!

HI Michael,

1. Doesnt matter

2. Doesnt matter

3. First connect 2nd switch and then power on. (If both swicth are on then depennd on priority which select as master or slave): Switch master selection: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_35_se/configuration/guide/swstack.html

4. Stack cable

Regards

4) What triggers the switch to realize it's a member of stack instead of a standalone switch?

During the bootup process, the stacking module will start a process to discover.  It will check for the presense of another member in a stack through the stacking cable. 

When the switch is master and it sees the second switch coming up, they will talk and the master will verify the presence of the "switch X provision" statement.  If it's there, fine.  If it's not, the master will create a new line and use the next lowest or available number. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card